P1080667Hello Family.

This last week was a good one, but there really is not much to write about. This water festival cannot be explained, it has to be experienced.

So on Monday we woke up, and did errands. I bought 2 water guns and some spray paint, and got to work preparing my weapons for the great water war. We tried our hardest to teach people but no one was free due to them going home for the holidays and people were going on vacation. We ate lunch with the Elders from Lao because they came for errands, and then we just tried to invite. We had an FHE activity at the church with a good amount of members, and we played tons of games and made food together.

BOSS3883On Tuesday we had our district meeting and ate ice cream together. There was already weird festival stuff happening in the form of a parade of monks in the middle of the Tesco store. After that me and Cecil biked to a lot of peoples houses to visit them and serve them since all of our investigators are gone and the inviting game was super bad. After hours of that we taught English with a grand total of 2 people, once again, due to the holidays. We just got dinner and went home after that.

P1080709On Wednesday it was the first day of Songran, The water festival. We got up early and went to the church and played with the members. It was super fun with all of us eating food and smacking cars and people with water. After that we roamed around the city for a few hours getting soaked and wrecking fools with water. I took a cooking pot with a handle and it turned out to be the ultimate weapon. After that we just went home because of the 6 pm curfew.

Thursday, the middle day, was the craziest. I was almost kissed by 2 girls, Cecil had a man try and kiss him, and we ended up on a dance stage. Apparently I am the most handsome man in Nongkhai and the city just cannot handle it. Whenever I walk by a group of girls, something my district calls the “Jonas Brothers Effect” happens where they scream and swarm just me. What can I say, I got it from my father. We ended up at a dance stage in the middle of the city and us white guys should everyone how to bust a move. After a few hours of festival fueled dancing we ran home because it was getting dark and the curfew was approaching.

On Friday it was the last day so everyone went hard. We just did our thing and roamed the city. We ended up in the sketchy part of the festival so we had to use our local black man Elder Polu as a shield between us and the lady boys to escape. Inevitably we ended up back at the stage and just went wild again. Lots of videos were taken and lots of laughs had. AT the end of the day we ate dinner with some members by a concert and went home.

P1080715On Saturday we woke up and everyone was super tired. Me and Cecil went and got my bike tire fixed because it had a leak, and then we went and tried to visit people. We were able to meet with some RCs and Sister Yuyi so I could finish her baptismal record. After that we just biked around in the intense heat and suffered. After that I went to an ear doctor because i had tons of water that was forced in my ears and would not come out, so I was a deaf man since the first day of the festival. Luckily it took 15 minutes and some sort of weird ear vacuum to fix the problem, now I can hear too well. I can hear my voice echo in my mouth. all for just 6 dollars. We then went to the church and had game night, and ate dinner with the members.

Sunday we had a good amount of people come to church. Nothing too special happened,P1080753 we just had meetings and things. After that we talked to some members, finished paperwork, and talked to investigators some more. After that we biked to an old woman’s house in some incredible heat. The bike ride took 30 minutes. When we got there she was sleeping and told us to come back next week. So we suffered through the return trip through Hades, or so it felt. We then just visited people and had weekly planning because we had not done it yet. That night our AC gave out so we all had to sleep in the other Elder’s study room. luckily I am prepared and had a mattress pad and enough pillows to survive.

This morning I woke up with a horrible pain in my neck. Luckily it is going away. i fixed the AC by taking it apart and fiddling with it until cold air came out again. Today we are going Ice skating and bowling down in Udon with the missionaries down there and Bro Kenny. We should be finding out if anyone is transferring this week, and all bet are on me that I am leaving, So next week this email might be coming from a different place, see y’all!

-Elder Ridings


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s